Saturday, November 11, 2006

Wow it has been a roller coaster.

We have received Xhosa names, learned how to drive on the wrong side of the road, got lost in the wrong side of town twice, listened to stories of hope, peace, sadness and great joy. We have led groups for orphans, worked on the academy and have gone on a tour of Robben island where Nelson Mandela was held for 18 years. So lets start at the beginning (I am going to try to do a new post for each story).

Our names:
Igama lam ngu Kwezi! (q-way c) We were helping out one of the orphan support groups and the wife of the pastor, Llulama, said that we needed to get some more supplies. So Leslie and I went with her to the store (which was an experience in itself) and helped carried the supplies. We were on our way out and she asked if we had Xhosa names yet. We said that we didn't and so she looked at me and said, "Your Xhosa name is Kwezi." I said thanks but had no idea what she meant by it. Later it was explained to us that the people here give us new names. Leslie was given her name later that day. It was also explained to us that it was very unique to receive our names the way we did. Mine means Bright morning star, which is a name that has not been given to a staff before and Leslie's is the female version of the same name. Having names that are similar is also very rare. We were told that it means we look like we are perfect for each other. Very cool!


We love you,

Kwezi and Nokwezi

P.S. I am sorry I can't send any pictures yet. I am not able to get the camera to work, but I will keep trying.

1 comment:

thomasjf3 said...

Sorry I'm so late, Nana just showed me your blog. Thats so sweet about your names. I would love to hear about everything around Christmas, with pictures. I love the way you guys are loving people with your lives and your beautiful service. I want to do the same with my wife one day God willing. You two seriously are inspiration and encouragement to live the life of Christ. Keep living dangerously for the Lord. I love you two.

BLessings,
Thomas (your couse)